It can be difficult to find moments of peace and calm in our hectic, constantly-connected world. We’re often so busy juggling work, family, and social obligations that we don’t take the time to focus on ourselves. But what if there were a way to simplify your life and make it easier to manage? In this blog post, we will discuss 10 ways to radically simplify your life—without sacrificing any of the things you love!
Declutter your home.
One of the best ways to simplify your life is to declutter your home. Start by removing any unnecessary belongings – you don’t need half of the things you own!
To start, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I use this item regularly?
- Does this item bring me joy?
- Where did this item come from?
- Is this item broken or damaged?
- Do I have duplicates of this item?
- Does this item have sentimental value?
- Does this item have a practical purpose?
Depending on the answers to these questions, you may want to consider getting rid of the item. There’s no need to keep things you don’t use or take up valuable space in your home.
You can also go room by room to declutter your home.
Start by emptying out the room and then sorting through the items. Keep only the things that you need and use regularly. Everything else can be donated, sold, or thrown away.
Don’t forget to declutter your closet and pantry too! Get rid of any clothes or food that you don’t need.
Once you’ve decluttered your home, it will be much easier to keep it clean and organized. And you’ll be less likely to accumulate unnecessary belongings in the future.
Tip: Start small and gradually declutter your home over time. You don’t need to do it all at once! One room, one closet, or one shelf at a time is perfectly fine.
Besides decluttering your home, you can also consider organizing it.
Invest in some storage solutions, such as shelves, bins, and baskets, to help you keep your belongings sorted and organized. This will make it easier to find what you need and put things away when you’re done using them.
The pantry is a great place to start organizing your kitchen. You can use baskets to store different types of food, bins to store canned goods, and hooks to hang pots and pans.
The KonMari Method is a great way to declutter your home. If you’re not familiar with it, the KonMari Method is a decluttering method developed by Marie Kondo. It involves organizing your belongings by category (e.g., clothes, books, papers) and then removing everything that doesn’t “spark joy.”
Simplify your schedule.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, it’s time to simplify your schedule. Start by evaluating the things you need to do and what you want to do.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I really need to do this?
- Can someone else do this for me?
- Can this wait until later?
- Is this something I enjoy doing?
- Is this important to me?
- What are my priorities?
- What are my goals?
- What can I eliminate from my schedule?
- What can I combine or overlap?
- What can I simplify?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you’ll be able to create a more manageable and less stressful schedule.
Some things you can do to simplify your schedule include:
Eliminating unnecessary tasks or activities.
When you eliminate something from your schedule, you’re freeing up time and energy that can be used for more important things.
Combining tasks or activities that can be done at the same time.
Many tasks can be combined, such as folding laundry and watching TV or cooking and cleaning.
Reducing the number of commitments you have.
Think about the commitments you have in your life and ask yourself if they’re all necessary. The ones that can be eliminated, reduced, or delegated can be crossed off your list.
Creating a routine and sticking to it.
This will help you avoid feeling overwhelmed and stressed. It’s easier to stick to your schedule when you know what you’re supposed to be doing.
Setting priorities and focusing on the most important tasks.
This will help you stay organized and ensure that you’re using your time wisely.
Learn to say no.
One of the best ways to simplify your life is to learn how to say no. When you’re constantly saying yes to things, you’ll quickly become overwhelmed and stressed.
But when you learn to say no, you’ll have more time and energy to focus on the things that are important to you.
Why saying no is important:
- It can help you protect your time and energy.
- It can help you avoid becoming overwhelmed.
- It can help you focus on your priorities.
- It can help you avoid burnout.
- It can help you maintain healthy boundaries.
- It can be empowering.
- It can simplify your life.
What are some tips for saying no?
Be direct and honest.
Don’t beat around the bush. Be direct and honest with the person asking for your help.
If you don’t want to do something, set boundaries and let the person know.
Don’t feel guilty.
Saying no doesn’t mean you’re a bad person. You’re allowed to say no without feeling guilty.
You can still say no without being rude. There’s no need to be rude or harsh when you say no.
If someone is pressuring you into doing something you don’t want to do, stand up for yourself and say no.
Don’t overcommit yourself.
This is a common problem for many men. Don’t overcommit yourself and only agree to do things you know you can handle.
One of the best ways to simplify your life is to delegate tasks to other people. When you delegate, you’re freeing up time and energy that can be used for more important things.
Many things can be delegated, such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, lawn care, and grocery shopping. You can delegate tasks to your children or spouse or hire someone to help you out.
Many other tasks can be delegated, such as your tax return, home repairs, emails, calls, and more.
The key is to find tasks that can be delegated and then find the right person or company to do them.
How to delegate:
- Figure out what needs to be done.
- Before you can delegate, you must figure out what needs to be done. Break down the task into smaller parts and list what needs to be done.
- Assign tasks to the appropriate person.
- Once you know what needs to be done, you can assign the tasks to the appropriate person.
- Make sure everyone is clear on their roles and responsibilities.
- Be sure to make everyone aware of their roles and responsibilities, so there’s no confusion.
- Monitor the progress of the task.
- Make sure to monitor the task’s progress to ensure that it’s being done correctly and on time.
- Give feedback and make adjustments as needed.
- If necessary, give feedback and make adjustments to ensure that the task is correctly done.
One of the best ways to simplify your life is to automate as many tasks as possible. When you automate, you’re freeing up time and energy that can be used for more important things.
Many things can be automated; here are a few examples:
You can set up automatic payments for your bills, so you don’t have to worry about paying them on time.
You can set up auto-shipments for products you regularly use, so you never run out. Sites like Amazon offer this service.
You can set up rules in your email client to automatically file or delete emails based on certain criteria. You can also have emails automatically forwarded to another email address.
Tracking your expenses.
You can use online tools or apps to track your expenses automatically. This will help you stay on budget and keep track of your spending.
Sites like Calendly allow you to schedule appointments without going back and forth via email.
You can use grocery delivery services like Instacart to deliver your groceries to your door. You can order your favorite items with the click of a button.
You can also check if any supermarket near you offers online grocery shopping.
You can use services like Hello Fresh or Home Chef for weekly boxes of fresh, pre-portioned ingredients and recipes for healthy, home-cooked meals.
If you don’t want to order a box, you can order food with a few clicks with apps like Grubhub or UberEATS.
You can use a robotic vacuum cleaner to clean your floors for you.
Companies like Tidy offer cleaning services that can be scheduled regularly. Some of these companies offer deep-cleaning services in just a couple of hours.
Services Tide Cleaners, Rinse, or Laundry Care offer laundry pickup and delivery. This is a great option if you have a busy lifestyle and don’t have time to do your laundry yourself.
You can use a service like LawnStarter or Lawn Guru to have someone else take care of your lawn for you.
You can use a service like Wag! to have a professional dog walker come to your house to walk your dog for you.
You can use voice assistants like Amazon Echo or Google Home to automate tasks like turning on the lights, setting alarms, adding milk to your grocery list, etc.
Many other things can be automated as well. The key is to find tasks that can be automated and then find the right tool or service to do them.
When you have routines, you know what to expect, and you don’t have to spend time thinking about what needs to be done. This leaves you more time to focus on the important things. It is important to find routines that work for you and your lifestyle.
Here are a few examples of routines that can help you simplify your life:
A morning routine.
A morning routine can help you start your day off on the right foot. It can include things like:
- Waking up at the same time every day.
- Making your bed.
- Doing some stretches or yoga.
- Brewing a cup of coffee or tea.
- Reading the news or a book.
- Checking your email and social media.
An evening routine.
An evening routine can help you wind down for the day and prepare for bed. It can include things like:
- Making your bedroom a no- electronics zone.
- Putting away all your electronics.
- Reading a book or magazine.
- Taking a bath or shower.
- Listening to music.
- Going to bed at the same time every night.
A weekend routine.
A weekend routine can help you relax and enjoy your time off. It can include things like:
- Sleeping in.
- Taking a walk or going for a bike ride.
- Watching a movie or reading a book.
- Cooking a meal or eating out.
- Taking a nap.
- Going out with friends or family.
- Doing something fun.
A task routine.
A task routine can help you be more productive and organized. It can include things like:
- Breaking down tasks into smaller, more manageable parts.
- Working on one task at a time.
- Putting all your materials in one place.
- Sticking to a schedule.
- Finding the right tools and software to help you be more productive.
A Cleaning Routine.
A cleaning routine can help you keep your house clean and organized. It can include things like:
- Cleaning one room at a time.
- Working on a specific task each day (e.g., dusting, sweeping, vacuuming).
- Putting everything away after you’re done.
- Using cleaning products that work well for you.
- Creating a schedule that works for you.
There are many different routines that can help you simplify your life. The key is to find the ones that work best for you and stick with them.
Simplify your wardrobe.
One of the best ways to simplify your life is to simplify your wardrobe. With a simplified wardrobe, you can easily choose what to wear each day, and you don’t have to waste time deciding.
Decision fatigue is a real thing, and when you have to make too many decisions throughout the day, it can be exhausting. Simplifying your wardrobe can help reduce decision fatigue and help you feel more put together each day. Steve Jobs is a perfect example of this. He had a very simple black turtleneck and blue jeans uniform that he wore every day.
You don’t need to go as far as Steve Jobs, but you can simplify your wardrobe by following these tips:
- Stick to a limited color palette.
- Only wear clothes that fit well.
- Stick to a limited number of styles.
- Only buy clothes that you love and will wear often.
- Get rid of clothes that you don’t wear.
- Don’t buy impulsively.
- Schedule time each week to define your outfits for the week ahead.
- Invest in quality pieces that will last.
- Store clothes seasonally.
- Have a go-to outfit for when you don’t know what to wear.
- Follow a uniform style.
- Store your clothes in an organized way to easily find what you’re looking for.
Simplifying your wardrobe can be a great way to reduce stress and feel more put together each day.
About your accessories, limit yourself to a few simple quality pieces you love and will wear often. The same goes for your shoes. Choose a few versatile pairs that you can wear with various outfits.
Let go of negative thoughts and emotions that don’t serve you.
If you’re holding on to anger, resentment, or jealousy, it’s time to move on. These negative thoughts and emotions will only bog you down and complicate your life; they can keep you from living a happy, fulfilling life.
When you let go of negative thoughts and emotions, you’ll find that you can live more in the present moment. You’ll be less stressed and happier overall.
Regarding your relationships, think about what’s important to you and what’s not. Don’t waste your time and energy on relationships that don’t serve you.
Think about what you want out of life and what makes you happy. Once you have a clear idea of what you want, focus on making that a reality. Don’t let negative thoughts and emotions get in the way.
There are many different techniques that can help you let go of negative thoughts and emotions. Some of these techniques include:
- Talk to a friend or family member about your feelings.
- Counseling or therapy.
- Self-care activities like taking a bath, a massage, or taking a walk.
- There are also many helpful books on the topic of letting go of negative thoughts and emotions. Some of my favorites include The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer, and The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown.
When you’re feeling overwhelmed, stressed, or negative thoughts and emotions are getting the best of you, try one of these techniques to help you let go and move on.
Remember, life is too short to waste time and energy on things that don’t serve you. Let go of negative thoughts and emotions and focus on what’s important to you. Live each day to the fullest and enjoy your life! Get your finances in order.
When you have a lot of financial stress, it can be difficult to focus on anything else. If you have a clear idea of where your money is going and what you’re spending it on, you can live a simplified life. You’ll be less stressed and have more peace of mind. Remember, it’s important to live within your means and not spend more than you have.
There are a few things you can do to simplify your finances:
Create a budget and stick to it.
When you have a budget, you know exactly how much money you must work with each month.
Invest in a financial planner.
A financial planner can help you create a budget, invest your money wisely, and help you stay on track with your finances.
Create a savings plan.
When you have a savings plan, you know exactly how much money you’re saving each month.
Eliminate debt as much as possible.
Debt can be a huge stressor and can keep you from reaching your financial goals. One way to eliminate debt is to create a payment plan and stick to it.
Don’t buy things you don’t need.
When you buy things you don’t need, you’re wasting money that could be saved or used for other purposes. Think about what’s important to you and change your spending habits.
Declutter your digital life.
Just like you need to declutter your physical space, you must also declutter your digital life. This means getting rid of the things you don’t need and organizing the things you do.
To declutter your digital life, you can:
- Delete unused apps from your phone/tablet.
- Organize your apps in a way that makes sense to you.
- Turn off notifications for apps you don’t need.
- Restart your computer, router, and phone once a week.
- Delete unused software from your computer.
- Get rid of old, unused, or irrelevant files on your computer.
- Organize your files into folders.
- Create a filing system for your emails.
- Unsubscribe from newsletters, mailing lists, and free or paid subscriptions you no longer need.
- Delete old emails.
- Update your privacy settings on social media and close accounts you no longer use.
- Delete browsing history and cookies.
- Remove bookmarks you no longer need.
- Remove icons you don’t use from your desktop.
- Copy as much data as possible to an external hard drive (the non-critical stuff, at least) and remove it from your computer.
- Create a system for organizing your photos. Remove bad photos and delete duplicates.
When your digital life is organized and decluttered, it’s easier to find what you need, and you’re less likely to be overwhelmed by information.
Use less technology and spend more time outdoors or interacting with people face-to-face.
Technology can be a huge distraction that keeps us from living in the present moment. When we’re constantly connected to technology, our life is more complex than it needs to be.
Try using less technology and spending more time outdoors or interacting with people face-to-face. This will help you simplify your life and focus on what’s important.
Some ideas for spending more time outdoors include:
- Playing sports.
Some ideas for spending more time with people face-to-face include:
- Having dinner with friends or family.
- Attending a class or workshop.
- Meeting for coffee.
- Going to a museum.
- Participating in a club or organization.
- Attending a religious service.
- Spending time with your partner or spouse.
Technology can be a great tool, but it’s important to use it in moderation and not let it take over our lives. This doesn’t mean you have to disconnect from technology completely, but try to find a healthy balance.
When you simplify your life, you can focus on what’s important and live a more peaceful and stress-free life. Try some of the techniques mentioned in this article to get started. Remember, it’s important to find what works for you and make realistic and achievable changes.
What are your thoughts on simplifying your life? Do you have any tips to share? Please leave a comment below and let us know.
Lenny Terra is the founder & editor-in-chief. He’s a life coach, software engineer, freelance writer, and has a diploma in Modern Applied Psychology. Lenny has a passion for great living & beautiful design. He is married and is the father of two beautiful girls. His life’s mission is to help people improve their lives, become happier and more productive. This blog is his contribution to that goal and to the empowerment of his readers. Lenny and his family live in Texas with their two dogs.